Date:      Wed, 11 Oct 2006 09:01:25 -0700
From:      Nate Lawson <nate@root.org>
To:        Mikael <mikael.tanskanen@pp.inet.fi>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: newbie has ACPI problem

Mikael wrote:
> In FreeBSD7-CURRENT acpi works for my laptop (Fujitsu Siemes Amilo A1650)
> but FreeBSD6.1-STABLE (or 6.2 RC1) did give me lot of error messages with
> different error codes. Mostly about fails in TZS stuff..
>
> Everytime my cpu get more work and fans start spinning faster i got error
> messages printed on screen.

That will be fixed once acpi-ca is stabilized and then merged to 6-stable.

> Other problem is that my clock speeds is running too fast. For example in boot
> screen the time counter speeds almost in double speed.
>
> And since this is laptop with dynamically changing cpu frequencies and fan
> speeds I really would like to have acpi enabled :)

Don't use TSC as a timecounter when also using cpufreq.  There is
already a check for this in the cpufreq code, but maybe it doesn't work
when TSC is selected at boot?

sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware="i8254"
or
sysctl kern.timecounter.hardware="acpi-fast"

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2003-August/008718.html

If it works, put it in /etc/sysctl.conf

--
Nate