Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 14:53:22 +0300
From:      Odhiambo Washington <wash@iconnect.co.ke>
To:        Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
Cc:        FBSD-Q <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: ifconfig error

--nmemrqcdn5VTmUEE

* Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in> [20010219 13:51]: writing =
on the subject 'Re: ifconfig error'
Rakhesh> On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Odhiambo Washington wrote:
Rakhesh>=20
Rakhesh> > Rakhesh> My mistake.  I tried ifconfig with "netmask" and it sti=
ll gives the same
Rakhesh> > Rakhesh> error: "in6_ifattach_addaddr: rtrequest failed. errno =
=3D 17"
Rakhesh> >=20
Rakhesh> > I did not look so keenly. Are you trying to configure the loopba=
ck
Rakhesh> > interface with an IP ather than 127.0.0.1 or you do not known wh=
at name=20
Rakhesh> > is given to your network card?? What is your network card detect=
ed as?
Rakhesh> >=20
Rakhesh> > You cannot reconfigure lo0 (loopback interface)
Rakhesh>=20
Rakhesh> I don't have a network card.  I am trying to configure my loopback
Rakhesh> interface lo2 with an IP 10.20.3.12 (or whatever I mentioned in th=
at
Rakhesh> mail).  I have tried a similar thing under OpenBSD atleast, and I =
have had
Rakhesh> no errors.  And moreover, in this case, even though it gives that
Rakhesh> error/warning, the interface does get configured with that IP.

Why are you assigining an Ip on lo0?? I've never done it and I am not sure
how it helps.

Rakhesh>=20
Rakhesh> BTW, I do not exactly understand what you mean by saying I can
Rakhesh> reconfigure lo0?
                                                                    ^^^
                                                            I said  CANNOT
    =20
Rakhesh> Do u mean I can't assign an IP to it, or something else ?

That is what i think but I stand corrected.

I am returning you to the mailing list for advance users to chip in.
I haven't used anything other than FreeBSD, so forgive me. I'll soon
start looking at OpenBSD if I get the time.

-Wash

--
Odhiambo Washington  Inter-Connect Ltd.,
wash@iconnect.co.ke  5th Flr Furaha Plaza

Deeds cannot dream what dreams can do. -E.E Cummings=20

--nmemrqcdn5VTmUEE

--nmemrqcdn5VTmUEE--