Date:      Thu, 13 Jul 2006 09:11:41 -0500
From:      Eric <heli@mikestammer.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation directory best practices

Frank Laszlo wrote:
> Babak Farrokhi wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I wonder if there is any particular guideline for installation of web
>> based
>> application (the ports which install web pages, like www/wordpress,
>> www/serendipity or databases/phpmyadmin).
>>
>> Some ports install web pages into "www/${PORTNAME}" while others install
>> into "www/data-dist/${PORTNAME}" or even into "share/${PORTNAME}".
>> However most of these ports let you override the installation path by
>> defining particular variables, but user should review Makefile before
>> installation to find out which variable should be set.
>>

> I believe that installing into www/data-dist/${PORTNAME} is a security
> risk, installing unconfigured applications into a web readable directory
> is bad.
>
> -Frank

I believe i have seem port comments (or maybe it was UPDATING)
mentioning moving things out of the data-dist directory to a
subdirectory of www, so this seems to be the preferred way to do things
and then add an alias to apache. some ports, like gallery2, still dump
to data-dist, but most seem to place themselves into www by default