Date:      Wed, 02 Aug 2000 10:19:43 +0200
From:      Johan Karlsson <k@numeri.campus.luth.se>
To:        Roland Jesse <jesse@mail.CS.Uni-Magdeburg.De>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Suggestion for change of /usr/src/UPDATING (was: Re: HEADS UP! Always use the 'make buildkernel' target to make yer kernels)

At 02 Aug 2000 09:58:04 +0200, Roland Jesse wrote:
> Siegbert Baude <siegbert.baude@gmx.de> writes:
>
> > ---Begin Suggestion---
>
> Not bad, but:
>
> >         # Verify that the new kernel works, it will be installed as
> >         # /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >         chflags noschg /kernel
> >         chflags noschg /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE
> >         mv /kernel /kernel.old
> >         mv /YOUR_KERNEL_HERE /kernel
> >         chflags schg /kernel
>
> I am not in favour of putting *that* in UPDATING. Either suggest an
> appropriate entry in /boot/loader.conf:
>
>         # Make sure that the new kernel gets booted the next time
>         # you reboot by putting the following line in
>         # /boot/loader.conf:
>         kernel="/YOUR_KERNEL_HERE"
>
> Or (and that's what I like more and do) in the section where one
> modifies her kernel config file:
>
>         # Make sure that the kernel gets installed as /kernel and
>         # therefore gets loaded at boot time. Put a "kernel" entry
>         # in your kernel config file, like this:
>         makeoptions     KERNEL=kernel

This has been taken care of in current but in a slightly different way.
When using the build/installkernel targets the built / installed kernel
is named 'kernel'
Hence, when these changes are MFC:ed this part is not needed at all in
UPDATING.

I think it is better to MFC than adding this :-)

/Johan K