Date:      Mon, 22 Jun 1998 13:31:12 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        Jonathan Smith <jonsmith@physics.purdue.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: simple home networking

On Sun, 21 Jun 1998, Jonathan Smith wrote:

> Could somone point me at the right URL to explain how to do the following?
> I once saw info similar to this in the handbook but couldn't find it a
> couple weeks ago.
>
> BSD machine (2.2.6stable/3.0snap) with modem (cuaa1), ether (ed1)
> |   - 95 Machine
> | /
> Hub - BSD Machine (3.0)
> | \
> |   - 95 Machine
> NT machine
>
> I would like to run PPP over modem on the first BSD machine, and be able
> to grant internet access to the remaining machines.  THe only one with a
> reel IP will be the one using the PPP.

           ISP

           tun0 (IP assigned by ISP)

           BSD  (with gateway_enable="YES" and with natd or ppp -alias)

           ed1 (10.0.0.1)

           Hub - 0.5 - Win95
         /  |  \
      0.2  0.3  0.4
      /     |     \
    NT    Win95   BSD

All the hosts should have 10.0.0.1 as their default route.  0.1 should
have the Dynamic IP as it's default route.  (Set at linkup time.)  The
Netmask on everything should be 255.255.255.0.

You will also want entries in /etc/hosts in each computer for each
computer, and proper DNS info in /etc/resolv.conf, and proper order in
/etc/host.conf (place hosts above bind.)

You can also use 192.168/24 as your network if you prefer.  I use 10/24
cause it's easier to type.  :)

I think that's it.