Date:      Sat, 29 Jun 2002 18:08:12 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Seva Gluschenko <gvs@rinet.ru>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        noc@rinet.ru
Subject:   ports/39998: Makefile for netpbm port has several flaws

>Number:         39998
>Category:       ports
>Synopsis:       Makefile for netpbm port has several flaws
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD staff.rinet.ru 4.6-STABLE FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE #3: Fri Jan 25 22:41:27 MSK 2002 root@staff.rinet.ru:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/staff i386

	While trying to build netpbm from ports I've found several disasters
	which prevent that port from building. First, when fetch does not find
	the port source in distfiles and attempts to fetch it from the
	master site, it tries in SourceForge:

MASTER_SITES=   ${MASTER_SITE_SOURCEFORGE}
MASTER_SITE_SUBDIR=     ${PORTNAME}

	but receives just a HTML document instead of an archive, actually.
	I think it's because of some changes in SourceForge which aren't
	reflected by port maintainer.

	Second and more principal, trying to build, I've got an error while
	applying patches. Then I untared an archive from scratch by hand and
	used a command as follows:

	> make -d l

	Here is what I got:

[skip]
===>  Applying FreeBSD patches for netpbm-10.2
cd /usr/ports/graphics/netpbm && make 'CKSUMFILES+=netpbm-10.2.tgz' post-patch
-e 's|%%X11BASE%%|/usr/X11R6|g' /usr/ports/graphics/netpbm/work/netpbm-10.2/pm_c
onfig.h
-e: not found
*** Error code 127
Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/netpbm.
*** Error code 1

	After looking in Makefile, I've found

USE_REINPLACE=  yes

	and later

post-patch:
        @${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's|%%X11BASE%%|${X11BASE}|g' ${WRKSRC}/pm_config.h
        @${REINPLACE_CMD} -e 's|<shhopt.h>|<pm_shhopt.h>|g' ${WRKSRC}/lib/pm.h

	I don't know what is that REINPLACE_CMD. Trying

	> make -d v | grep REINPLACE_C

	produced no output. I've got a goal myself typing

	> make REINPLACE_CMD="perl -pi'.orig'"

	guessing the meaning from the variable name.

>How-To-Repeat:
	All the information needed is already written above.

>Fix:
	No fix available since I don't know the structure of embedded FreeBSD
	makefiles well enough to intrude there with my fixes.