Date:      Thu, 22 Feb 2001 19:28:05 -0800
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems Group <Cy.Schubert@uumail.gov.bc.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Bind problems

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

On Thu, Feb 22, 2001 at 03:29:48PM -0800, Cy Schubert - ITSD Open Systems G=
roup wrote:

> > Even running in a chroot or jail only goes so far, because they can
> > still run arbitrary code on the system as that user and use it to
> > e.g. launch DDoS attacks, run an rc5des client, you name it :)
>=20
> I think you can mitigate or even eliminate that possibility.  First,=20
> make all files directories in the chrooted environment writable by root=
=20
> only, except for named's log directory and the directory it places its=20
> named.pid file.  Next, union or nullfs mount with the noexec option the=
=20
> directories where all of the named logs and pid file are written.
>=20
> The worst that could happen is that the intruder could fill your disk.

No, they still get the ability to run arbitrary code because they
compromise a running process and take over its execution context.  The
attacker just needs to upload the code into the processes memory
space, instead of loading it from disk.

Kris

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g

--2fHTh5uZTiUOsy+g--