Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:37:54 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011307075.d89648@mired.org>
To:        "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1011265367.36e001@mired.org>, Bjarne Wichmann Petersen <freebsd.nospam@mekanix.dk>, "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Limitations of BSD-slices.

Crist J . Clark <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG> types:
> > Again, you're describing the default installation, not real
> > limits. The only partitions that are reserved are a and c. If you're
> > going to boot a partition, it has to be a.
> Nope. But that's the one the boot loader will look for by default.

When I ran into the problem, the easiest way to get the system to boot
was to boot a different partition, and use disklabel to make "a" the
boot partition. That's been most of a year ago, so this may well have
been fixed.

Have you configured a system to autoboot from an arbitrary partition?

Even if this restriction hasn't changed, it's minor - it just means
that if one of your partitions is going to be used for booting, it has
to be a. Since it's just a label chosen from a relatively meaningless
set, it's isn't a difference that makes a difference.

	Thanx,
	<mike