Date:      Mon, 30 Mar 1998 09:13:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christian Busquet <cbusquet@hol.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problem with X,OAK and text mode

On Mon, 30 Mar 1998, Christian Busquet wrote:

> > > I'have succesfully Installed FreeBsd 2.2.5-RELEASE on my 386SX33
> > > with 16 Meg RAM and an OAK OTI-067 SVGA CARD(1 Meg RAM)
> > > I run X with success.
> > >
> > > but when i go back to text mode my screen lost all horizontal synchro
> > > ( i can't read nothing :-( )
>
> > > It seems that XFREE Kill my text mode synchro ;-)
> > >
> > This is a constant problem that is not easily fixed in the X server.
> >  Try running the command `vidcontrol VGA_80x25' after the X server
> > exits.
>
> that doesn't work for me.
> I try other configurations and i note
> that : the mode VGA_320x200 kill console driver
> i can't do <ALT>-F1 or F2 F3 the PC is Beeping ?

Odd.  The command tells the console driver to reset the resolution to
80x25, hopefully that will clear the scrambled condition.  Apparently it
doesn't work in your case, so you are probably out of luck.

You may want to run X via xdm so that you log directly into X vice logging
into the console and using startx.  Simply add `xdm' to /etc/rc.local to
activate, and move your .xinitrc to .xsession.