Date:      Tue, 20 Jan 1998 04:35:33 -0800 (PST)
From:      asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
To:        ache@nagual.pp.ru
Cc:        peter@netplex.com.au, perhaps@yes.no, gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG, committers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: amanda port, empty PATCH_STRIP= lines causes trouble

 * Is people intended to misintepretate what I write?

Andrey, don't take it personally.  This is a volunteer project, we're
all in it for fun.  I have no intention to make your life harder.  But
the venom in your mails is making it awfully hard for me to continue.

 * ncurses generates ABSOLOTELY 100% RIGHT Index: lines, "fixed" FreeBSD
 * patch interpretate them bogusly. With old patch nobody can trust

I am not sure what you are saying here.  (I'm sorry, but you have
proved elsewhere that you define terms like "right" and "correct" the
way you intend to use them, so I'm not sure if you are talking in
reference to the new patch man page or something else.)

(1) ncurses patch specifies the file's relative pathname in the Index:
    line but "old" (2.2.5R) patch interprets them bogusly (whatever
    that means) and tries to patch the wrong file

(2) ncurses patch has correct relative pathnames in ***/--- lines and
    Index: lines that is not the relative pathname of the file in
    question, so "old" patch tries to patch the file specified in
    "Index:" and fails

 * You already let compatibility be broken but left this "fix" sneak in
 * the patch. Then patch becomes _incompatible_ with old FreeBSD patches
 * (and other world), but nobody cares!

Hey, I said I just didn't notice.  (Did you?)

 * Instead of broke programs in chain mode we must return to the start
 * and think probably about some filter which detects wrong CVS diffs
 * from 2.2.5R. This filter is easy - just compare Index: line and
 * ---/*** lines, and if Index: line is longer, replace ---/**** lines
 * on the fly or call _special_ version of patch (not default one!)
 * to handle them.

Can you make a filter like that work reliably?  And are we going to
call it "patch"?

 * I start to fear where FreeBSD project goes. The thigs like 1) easily
 * sneaking hacks (causing essential bug) together with 2) unwiling to remove
 * them argumenting with functionality reasons are clear signs of
 * degradation. I ever not mention that nobody seems to read even the first
 * line of my message.

I'm starting to fear too.  I really don't like the current atmosphere
in which it seems people who yell louder always get their way because
others just get too annoyed to argue. :<

Satoshi