Date:      Mon, 08 Nov 1999 15:44:01 -0500
From:      "J. Maynard Gelinas" <mgelinas@bbn.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   3.3 install hangs when probing Adaptec 2940U2W devices

   Hello folks,

   I'm trying to install from 3.3-install.iso burned to a disc and keep running
into the same problem where the system hangs while trying to detect devices on
the SCSI chain.  This is on a PIII/450 on a SuperMicro P6DBE motherboard w/
256MB of RAM and an IDE based CDRom. After the kernel detection output I get:

"Waiting 15 seconds for SCSI decides to settle"

and then I see a blue screen and the words "scanning for devices (this could
take a while...)" while in the second pseudo-terminal I get:

da0: at ahc0 bus0 target0 lun0
da0: <IBM DNES-309170Y SA30> Fixed Direct Access SCSI-3 device
da0: 3.300MB/s transfers, Tagged Queueing Enabled
da0: 8748MB (17910240 512 byte sectors: 355H 63s/t 1115c)

at this point the system just sits there for an unreasonable amount of time.
I've left it to sit for almost a good hour, so I think it's actually hung
while trying to scan the SCSI bus for some reason.

   I've tried removing ancillary cards like the 3C905 and 905B network
adapters, an extra 128MB of stick RAM (because I saw that suggested in a news
posts while searching deja), and turning off parity SCSI in the SCSI bios to no
avail. The goal is to get the OS installed and have the machine drive a
Chapparal based RAID... (and it actually did detect the RAID, but I removed the
unit to see if that might help resolve this detection issue.)

   Is anyone else having these kinds of problems installing FreeBSD on such a
system?

Thanks for any help,
--Maynard