Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 2006 10:19:40 -0700
From:      othermark <atkin901@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Question on respecting PREFIX, LOCALBASE, SITE_PERL, etc...

I have a port that I'm working on that, in addition to the binaries it
generates, it generates the following:

- C api, includes, libraries
- perl api
- tcl api
- python api

it also has java and rexx extensions, but I'm not going to add those until
later.

My question revolves around respecting both PREFIX and stuff like TCL_LIBDIR
and SITE_PERL.   I want the port to be heir(7) compliant, but I'm also
patching the install to put perl, tcl, and python modules in the
TCL/PERL/PYTHON respective site library repositories.

So when the operator uses make PREFIX=/somedir do I rigorously plop
everthing under PREFIX and patch the TCL/PERL/PYTHON destinations to match,
or do I go ahead and plop those in the SITE_PERL, PYTHON_SITELIBDIR, etc
actual locations on the box?

Doing everything under PREFIX makes it easier to properly form the pkg-list,
but that can be coded around to.

--
othermark
atkin901 at nospam dot yahoo dot com