Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 12:01:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Newlin <jnewlin@tsoft.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   programming question (finding process that created a socket)

Hello,

Not sure if this the right list, but seemed a good place to start.

I'm mostly just monkeying around learing stuff so bear with me.  I
was trying to make some changes to the netstat code to add the ability
to see which process is associated with each active Socket.

It looked like I found the place this was stored, and it was
in the xt_socket struct.  However, the so_pgid field of this xt_socket
structure is valid for a few sockets, but 0 for many of them.

Anyone know why it is valid some of the time?

Anyone know a more reliable way to find the process associated with a
socket?

Is there a better list to send this to?

Thanks,

-John Newlin