Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 2004 22:27:04 -0400
From:      epilogue <epilogue@allstream.net>
To:        DAVID THOMPSON <thompsda@1stnational.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkg / ports interface

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 00:06:16 +0200
Roman Neuhauser <neuhauser@chello.cz> wrote:

> # thompsda@1stnational.com / 2004-07-14 11:45:46 -0700:
> > I was wondering if this is the right spot to ask if there is any
> > thought in discussing a ports and packages management interface?

hello david,

if you mean a unified graphical interface for viewing dependency trees,
adding/removing ports, specifying installs 'from packages' or 'from ports',
selecting specific build switches, just making and not installing, yada,
yada, yada, i know of no existing tool which meets all these criteria.

if you're proposing the development of such a tool, i think that this
would be a worthy project.  though it wouldn't necessarily add
functionality to the many tools that are already available, it would
probably provide a somewhat more newbie-friendly means to ports
management (especially multiple ports with multiple cross-dependencies).

if i understand you correctly, you may want to investigate
/usr/ports/sysutils/portsman, which comes close.  perhaps the scope of
portsman could be expanded.

because i have coding skills tantamount to zero, this is merely 2 cents.
if you can program, you might consider contacting the portsman author and
suggesting some new code?  if you cannot, i suspect that rallying coders to
this cause may pose a challenge (with the possible exception of the
portsman author) for the 'functionality' reason indicated above.

then again, perhaps i have no clue what you're talking about.   ;)

all cented out,
epi