Date:      Fri, 2 Jun 2006 10:02:46 +0200
From:      Rink Springer <rink@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Jack Vogel <jfvogel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: long timeout on boot

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

Hi,

> Both on my own machine, and on systems in our test group's lab, we
> notice these long (like 2min maybe?) delays near the end of boot. It
> seems to be ATA/SATA related. It has just announced the one disk
> it discovered, then shows the CPUs launched, and then it just sits
> printing nothing for, like I said, maybe a minute or two. Finally it will
> complete boot and all seems to be fine.
>=20
> I am guessing its in a detection loop maybe? Any ideas?? Oh,
> this is 6.1 RELEASE on i386, although I'm pretty sure x86_64
> will show the same behavior.

I also have this problem, it only showed up on 6-STABLE and 6.1-RELEASE
(not 6.0-RELEASE AFAICT). Strangely enough, it does not happen on all my
machines, my Dual Opteron has no problems but both my Dual P3 and Dual
Athlon MP suffer from this. Another Dual MP I have access to shows this
long timeout as well.

I have tried to track this down; the problem seems to be that once
initialization is completed, quite a few runs are needed to find the
process to be scheduled; the offending function seems to be scheduler()
in vm/vm_glue.c.

I was unable to determine why this is exactly, but I'd love to help in
tracking this down.

Regards,

--=20
Rink P.W. Springer                                - http://rink.nu
  "Richter: Tribute? You steal men's souls, and make them your slaves!
   Dracula: Perhaps the same could be said of all religions."
 - Castlevania: Symphony of the Night

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ

--MfFXiAuoTsnnDAfZ--