Date:      Tue, 12 Aug 2014 21:47:37 +0400
From:      Dmitry Selyutin <ghostman.sd@gmail.com>
To:        soc-status@freebsd.org, Pedro Giffuni <pfg@freebsd.org>,  David Chisnall <theraven@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Report #7: Unicode support

Hello everyone!

Here are the last news about the Unicode support project[0].
You can always check my repository[1].

During these days I've been working on integrating changes into the tree.
libc now supports UNICODE flag. If it is defined, then the entire libc
is compiled with -D_UNICODE_SOURCE, thus supporting Unicode Collation
Algorithm as well as Unicode normalization and canonicalization using
hidden __ucsnorm() and __ucscanon() functions.
Collation Database Library (libcolldb) moved into contrib/, though it
has its own Makefile inside lib/ directory. Collation Database Library
provides colldb script, which is used to transform Unicode collation
files into Collation Database format.
There are some things to be done: first I need to create a Makefile that will
move contrib/colldb/colldb into /usr/bin (and probably copying it into Python
package directory, since this script (if imported) allows to use bindings to
libcolldb). This Makefile must also use colldb to create a new database from
share/colldb/root.src and install it as /usr/share/colldb/root.db file. Since
I'm not sure how to handle such things using BSD make, so I think I'll need
your help, Pedro! ;-) Now it can be done manually.
The other thing is a more extensive testing using files from Unicode CLDR
repository. I've never used FreeBSD testing system, but hopefully it won't
be harder than implementing Unicode Collation.

[0] https://wiki.freebsd.org/SummerOfCode2014/Unicode
[1] https://socsvn.freebsd.org/socsvn/soc2014/ghostmansd

--
With best regards,