Date:      Mon, 15 Jan 2001 10:52:09 +0100
From:      Marcus Nissemark <marcus.nissemark@framfab.se>
To:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Running NAT-PT on FreeBSD 4.2? Or 3.5?

I'm trying to get NAT-PT to work on a host with FreeBSD 4.2 (Pentium II, 200
MHz, KAME-snapshot 2001-01-08). I've compiled the kernel with the option
NAT_PT in the Configuration File (from GENERIC.KAME, only the NAT_PT option
changed), and I've compiled the nat-pt userland files successfully. A few
modifications in the code (nothing essential) had to be done.

However, I am having trouble running the natptd program and configuring the
setup. My aim is to translate incoming IPv4 packets to IPv6 packets. The
IPv4 packets are generated by a test tool (SMARTBIT). Translating back to
IPv4 from IPv6 has to be possible too.

Running natptd causes the kernel to accept packets, but dropping them later.
Without natptd packets (IPv4) are routed to another host.

* Has anyone had any experience in this field and would this/these
person/persons like to share the information on how to do this with me?

* Instructions/help/code on configuring/running/setting up this environment
would be much appreciated.

* Maybe changing to another version of FreeBSD can help? 3.4 or higher is
the requirement of the other applications, it may be arranged so that we use
another host for that, and allow the adress translation to be performed on
it's own host.

* Anywhere else there might be information about NAT-PT so I can read about
it and try it out myself?

Thanks in advance

/Marcus, in Sweden.