Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 16:47:54 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011307675.1c5b50@mired.org>
To:        "Scott Gerhardt" <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Backup using TAR

Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com> types:
>    > Yeah - replace "tar" with "dump". Tar was designed to be a tool
>    > archiving and sharing data in unixoid file trees. Dump was designed to
>    > back up and restore FreeBSD's file systems. The similarity in the
>    > requirements for the two tasks ends not far past "copy the data in the
>    > files to the media".
>    >
>    > Even if you don't do that, you might consider adding --compress and
>    > changing the file extension to .tar.gz.
>
> Can dump be used to write to a file which can then be written to CD-ROM?

Well, I've never tried writing the file directly to the CD-ROM, but
always put them in ISO file systems, which works just fine. I'd
recommend doing the same for files from tar as well. dump helps with
that by having options to automatically create multiple output files
of a fixed size, which I use for full backups of files systems that
have more than one CD's worth of data.

	<mike