Date:      Wed, 1 Nov 1995 13:11:36 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        erich@lodgenet.com (Eric L. Hernes)
Cc:        jkh@time.cdrom.com, grog@lemis.de, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: More nits

[ ... more CD automount ... ]
> I kind of remember someone either working on or asking about an
> amd.map which would automount the CD.  I think this would
> be preferable to actually mounting the CD, because it could better
> handle media changes and such stuff.  Also if you gratitiously mount
> whatever CD is in the drive and I want to change it, I'd have to
> manually unmount it, then change it and manually remount it. (but you'd
> probably have to do that anyway)  Anyway someone could, in theory
> come up with a pretty fancy amd map that could detect media changes
> and do the right thing.  I just wish I knew more about amd maps :(.

AMD is the wrong way to handle this period.  A CDROM is just one of the
class of transient media that need to be supported in BSD.

The main issue is the potential removal of the media while mounted
for the other media, but that's a device management logical mapping
issue more than anything else as long as the device has insertion
locking.

This really, really needs to be addressed seperately.  There are some
UFS modifications that one of my coworkers has done in terms of FS
state cleanup on idle that ought to go into the main kernel.  Right
now, the changes unfortunately depend on other modifications I've
done, so they can't be integrated until the other changes have been
pulled in.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---