Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 11:06:35 +1030 (CST)
From:      "Daniel O'Connor" <doconnor@gsoft.com.au>
To:        Christoph Kukulies <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: wav to mp3 - tool under FreeBSD

On 09-Feb-01 Christoph Kukulies wrote:
>  I downloaded something which calls dist10 from www.8hz.com
>  but it's so poorly documented that I can't even find out
>  which one is the wav to mp3. I tried something called encoder
>  but the result of a 39 MB .wav file to .mpeg was disastrous.
>
>  Does anyone know of a good and fast converter from .wav to .mp3?

/usr/ports/audio/lame is IMHO the best :)

dist10 is the original ISO code which is terribly coded and has encumbered code
which LAME took and rewrote. It is much faster, and creates better quality mpegs.

I use 'lame -V 1 -b 128 -h -m j -q1 infile.wav outfile.mp3'

Which is fairly slow, if you stick to CBR (vs VBR) and turn off HQ mode you should
be able to make it go substantially faster though.

If you are running -current you can do

dd if=/dev/acd0t1 bs=2352 | lame -r -x -V 1 -b 128 -h -m j -q1 - track_01.mp3

Which is pretty neat ;)

---
are so many of them to choose from."
  -- Andrew Tanenbaum