Date:      Wed, 20 May 1998 18:35:08 -0700
From:      Studded <Studded@san.rr.com>
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WINE and mIRC

[cc:'s trimmed]

Eivind Eklund wrote:

> On Wed, May 20, 1998 at 09:44:38AM -0700, Studded wrote:
> >       I've heard good things about it, but unfortunately the main app that I
> > want to run is an IRC client and the docs I read for bochs say that it
> > doesn't do network'ed apps. I would be happy to be proven wrong though.
> > :)
>
> You mIRC freak...
>
> mIRC is reported to work perfectly with WINE, and has been reported
> that way for many moons.

	And those reports are all from linux users. Mirc starts and runs for a
while in wine, however after a period of time (how long depending on
what kind of mood it's in) all incoming packets never make it to mirc.
You can send just fine, but nothing comes in at all. It seems to be
something intrinsic to freebsd that is causing the problem since it does
this for me with wine on -Stable, and a friend of mine tried both wine
and wabi (compiled from source) on -Current and the same exact thing
happened.

	There are also problems with script and ini file corruption running
mirc in wine, but I could work around those if I could just get it to
stay running. :)  If anyone has an actual working configuration or mirc
+ wine (or any other windows emulator) in freebsd I would love to hear
from that person and discuss details. However I put a lot of hours into
trying to make it work and I never could.

Thanks,

Doug
PS, is there any target date for bochs to have networking ability?
--
***         Chief Operations Officer, DALnet IRC network       ***
***   Proud designer and maintainer of one of the world's largest