Date:      Tue, 3 Apr 2001 01:12:32 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brett@lariat.org
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   kern/26309: PPPoE client panics in kernel

>Number:         26309
>Category:       kern
>Synopsis:       PPPoE client panics in kernel
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
Have been trying to set up a PPPoE client on 4.3-RC2 as instructed in the
FreeBSD Handbook, but the machine regularaly page faults in the kernel just
as the link is preparing to come up (that is, right after ppp says "Using
interface: tun0.") The panic display said that the "current process" was
ppp (not surprisingly) and that the CPU had encountered a page fault "while
in kernel mode." The Netgraph, Netgraph sockets, Netgraph PPPoE, and
Netgraph Ethernet modules were all compiled statically into the kernel
and so didn't have to be loaded. Given that tun is a pretty simple
device and ppp is well tested, this tester suspects that the bug is
in the Netgraph system somewhere (but cannot tell for sure).

>How-To-Repeat:
Configure PPPoE as instructed in the FreeBSD handbook. My ppp.conf
looked like this:

default:
  set device PPPoE:fxp0:pppserv # The PPPoE host will list itself as "pppserv"
  set mru 1492
  set mtu 1492
  set authname username
  set authkey passwordstring
  set log Phase tun command # you can add more detailed logging if you wish
  set dial
  set login
# Let the server dictate address based on its
# ppp.secret file, which contains a static
# address for each user
  set ifaddr 0.0.0.0/0 0.0.0.0/0
  add default HISADDR
  nat enable yes

papchap:
  set authname username
  set authkey passwordstring

Then, just start PPP with "ppp -ddial". The actual presence of a server
did not seem to be required.
>Fix:
At time of submission could not find a workaround.