Date:      Wed, 12 Apr 2006 21:07:00 -0300
From:      Patrick Tracanelli <eksffa@freebsdbrasil.com.br>
To:        AT Matik <asstec@matik.com.br>
Cc:        freebsd-ipfw@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Load-balancing

AT Matik wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 April 2006 19:13, Patrick Tracanelli wrote:
>
>>Also, what about some sort of algorith more similar to "plr" for "prob"
>>action? As my understanding prob is really a probability, which does not
>>mean say 33% of the packets will match (while plr says it will match -
>>and drop the packet), it means 33% of probability, right? This would be
>>different of 33% of matching rate. Lets think of a "rate" option for
>>"matching rate", a
>>

> "probably" not a good choice to generate packet-loss when trying kind of load
> balance
>
> prob generates random rate (fwd in this case)
> plr generates random packet _loss_ rate
>
> I think the latter option create artificial kind of bw limit
>
> Joćo

Tt is certainly the deal, according to the code as I mentioned in the
later message. This is why a "rate" option would do this job better than
prob which make use of random().

Anyway according to my tests this random() approach gets very close to a
percentage. From more elaborated to simple tests such as:

# ipfw add 1 prob 0.33 deny icmp from me to any out icmptypes 8
# ping 10.69.69.1
[.. and there ping(1) goes...]
--- 10.69.69.1 ping statistics ---
28 packets transmitted, 18 packets received, 35% packet loss
round-trip min/avg/max/stddev = 0.229/0.280/0.359/0.036 ms

One can easily find out we get really close to the desired behaviour,
except that the order it happens is really random (which means that with
a small amount of tests, say, fewer packets, one might have distorted
results).

So I believe the lack of a "fwd keep-state"-like behavior is more
significant than the rate-with-precision stuff, when the matter is
balancing...

--
Patrick Tracanelli

FreeBSD Brasil LTDA.