Date:      Sun, 11 Jun 2000 08:47:34 GMT
From:      bart.lateur@skynet.be (Bart Lateur)
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: how to install the port collection?

On Sun, 11 Jun 2000 03:00:13 -0400, Patrick Simon wrote:

>I already installed the port collection with sysinstall and rebooted my
>system. But what do I have to do in order to use bash now?

>And someone told me I have to type the following command to "really" install
>the particular application.
>
>make install
>
>but then I get the follwing error message:
>
>bash-2.03-tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
>Attempting to fetch from ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/bash/.
>fetch: ftp.gnu.org: Host name lookup failure
>etc. ...
>
>Well I don't have a internet connection on that computer ... and besides
>that I thought I already installed the port collection with sysinstall?

No, you only installed the framework and patches necessary to install, a
lot of packages. You don't have the actual software distributions
themselves.

Try and download bash-2.03-tar.gz and place it, with this exact name, in
/usr/ports/distfiles. Then, do "make" again. Now it will work, unless
you need more distributions; then do the same again with those.

--
	Bart.