Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 1996 11:19:43 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Brian Matsik <brianmat@MICROSOFT.com>
Cc:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Dynamic IP Addressing

On Tue, 20 Aug 1996, Brian Matsik wrote:

> I am trying to install FreeBSD over my Intel EtherExpress card since we
> have a T1 net connection.  I am having problems getting the system to
> install because we use dynamic IP addressing on all of our machines.
> The NT servers will lease an IP address to us for 1 to 2 weeks and then
> we are re-assigned an IP address.  Is there a way that I can get this
> when installing FreeBSD using the FTP option (through a firewall)?

Ugly ugly ugly :(  Install doesn't support DHCP, so you'll need to suck up
an IP for the install.  I ddon't know if sysinstall supports proxy.  It
would be better to do a DOS install or make a local FTP site and ftp from
that.

> If this is not possible then I would like to just install the app from
> my HD.  I am using the install instructions that states to copy the
> directories to  my C:\ drive and install from that DOS location.  When I
> try to install I need to format my C:\ drive, but I have 2 SCSI hard
> drives and I would like to install to the second drive since it is much
> larger.  If I do install to the C:\ drive will the flat FreeBSD
> directory be wiped out?

Huh?  You'll copy the distribution files to your DOS slice in c:\freebsd.

If you don't have one, pick one disk, make like a 200mb DOS primary
partition, use that for the install, then just delete that slice and add
the disk like you are adding a new disk to the system (which isn't easy, I
hate to say).