Date:      Tue, 06 Feb 2001 10:30:47 +0200
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Pentchev <roam@orbitel.bg>
Cc:        Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>, ports@FreeBSD.org, jkh@FreeBSD.org, Edwin Groothuis <mavetju@chello.nl>
Subject:   Re: Request for comments [Fwd: bin/24695: [patch] pkg_info: prefix  search for a package]

Peter Pentchev wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 05, 2001 at 02:56:16PM -0800, Jordan Hubbard wrote:
> > > But do you really mean regexp-style wildcards, or merely shell-globbing
> > > wildcards?  If it's just shell globbing, that's much easier to do -
> > > just an additional fnmatch() call.
> >
> > Well, I could go both ways.  People are generally a lot more familiar
> > with shell globbing syntax and tend to understand "*foo*" over
> > ".*foo.*" (unless they're regexp weenies like me) but regexps are far
> > more powerful and also delight the engineers.  Maybe make it an
> > option. ;)
>
> Don't get me wrong, I *love* regexps too :)  Just.. maybe shell globbing
> shall be a bit more POLA-friendly, don't you think?  And then, regexp
> globbing activated by a cmdline option..  mmmmmmm! :)
>
> (and possibly a shell alias which sets that option by default...)

Hehe folks, you are probably reading my brain (I pondered something like that,
but was away from e-mail) ;). What do you think if I reimplement 'fuzzy' and
'prefix' options from original proposal into `glob' and `regex' options? So
regex kidz would be able say "-x .*foo.*", while glob-lovers "-g *foo*".

-Maxim