Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:49:58 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        swear@attbi.com (Gary W. Swearingen)
Cc:        chat@freeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Congrats to Brett Glass for new BSD history article

At 12:07 PM 10/7/2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:

>Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org> writes:
>
>> At 11:50 PM 10/6/2002, Gary W. Swearingen wrote:
>>
>> >Sounds like B.S.D. was always free, except after about Mar'78.
>>
>> BSD *was* always free. However, for awhile it was a free set
>> of enhancements to an expensive product.
>
>And therefor, for the remaining "while" (all but some part of
>1976-Mar'78, it seems), it was NOT.  So why do you insist on saying
>that it was ALWAYS free?  It sounds preposterous.
>
>It seems like you are saying that a (Berkely) software distribution,
>which contained both Berkeley free-licensed software and AT&T fee-
>licensed software, was nonetheless "free" software.  That's nonsense.

The Berkeley portion was free. Methinks that, perhaps, you're
asserting "guilt by assocation." ;-)

(That's all I have to say right now; need to go change a thermostat
so that the tenants in the building my wife and I are fixing up
do not freeze. I've quoted the rest of your message below at your
request.)

--Brett