Date:      Wed, 5 Feb 2003 01:35:53 +0100
From:      Alexander Leidinger <Alexander@Leidinger.net>
To:        "James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: eclipse port (native)

On Tue, 4 Feb 2003 13:04:02 -0500 (EST)
"James E. Flemer" <jflemer@acm.jhu.edu> wrote:

> I agree that it should be split into several (master/slave)
> ports.  I initially wrote a libswt port, but then merged it
> into my eclipse port.  I don't know where we would want to
> install libswt as a standalone.  I think it would work to
> put it in $PREFIX/lib, but eclipse looks all over the place
> inside it's own tree for libs (according to truss) first.

It shouldn't make a huge difference in startup time if it is in
$PREFIX/lib. And even if it does, how often do exit and restart it in a
day?

> There are two other libs used by the Linux GTK version:
> libcore, libupdate.  I do not know if it would be useful
> to build these standalone or not.

I like to have libswt standalone, as it seems to be useful to me to be
able to use it in own programs without the need to install eclipse too.

> I am porting the Eclipse 2.1 M4 Linux GTK version.  The
> Linux Motif version would probably be a simple port once
> the GTK one is done.

I agree.

> I have a few other questions about this port...
>
> What is the best way to do "do-install" for ports w/o their
> own install target (currently using pinstall)?

Override it. Just insert:
---snip---
do-install:
	install foo
	install bar
	do this
	do that
---snip---
or have a look at my lang/icc port to get an idea how to do nasty things.

> Should I replace all instances of "Linux" with "FreeBSD"?

It depends. Show me some examples (e.g. as a diff) and we can talk about
it.

> How do I use a patch-xy to patch a file with spaces in the
> path?

I don't understand. You aren't talking about
  diff -duH "foo bar.org" "foo bar"
are you?

Bye,
Alexander.