Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 22:22:39 -0400
From:      Ron Tarrant <rtarrant@northcom.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   HP & Brother Printers

Hi,
    I currently have an ancient HP LaserJet Plus attached to a FreeBSD
box that acts as a server for the Windows boxes on our intranet. I'm
using SAMBA. Whenever doing a print job, the HP spits out an extra sheet
of paper after each job is finished. I saw a fix for this problem
somewhere in the docs, but it was actually for Linux, not BSD. Besides
that, it didn't fix the problem. With the number of print jobs we run
here in a day, all the extra sheets are becoming a pain, especially
since the printer is in need of servicing and leaves streaks on the
extra sheets. Questions:

1) Is there a FreeBSD (as opposed to Linux) fix for the extra sheet
problem?
2) Is this actually a SAMBA problem? If so, how do I fix it?

    I am considering upgrading to a Brother HL-1040, but I can't find
any info concerning printer compatibility for FreeBSD. So I have a few
more questions concerning this printer?
1) Will it be easy to configure for FreeBSD?
2) Am I going to have the same extra sheet problem as with the HP?
3) Where can I find an example printcap and filter for the Brother
HL-1040?

Thank you in advance for your time.

-Ron Tarrant
Computerman Internet Services