Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 2017 08:49:02 +0100
From:      Matt Smith <matt.xtaz@gmail.com>
To:        Manish Jain <bourne.identity@hotmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-questions@freebsd.org" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Any reason to prefer 11.1 over 10.3 ?

On Aug 18 07:35, Manish Jain wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I am going to have to install FreeBSD again on a box on which 10.3R
>works well. Is there any reason I should prefer 11.1R ?
>
>Thanks for any tips.
>Manish Jain

The main reason for 11.1 would be the expected end of life date when
10.3 will no longer be supported. As you can see from
https://www.freebsd.org/security/security.html#sup that is April 30,
2018 whereas 11.1 will be 3 months after the release of 11.2.

Obviously you can upgrade from 10.3 to 10.4, or from 10.3 to 11.2, and
from 11.1 to 11.2 quite easily, but it's easier to start with 11 than it
is to start with 10 and do a major version upgrade.

Unless there are any strange issues particular to your hardware 10 and
11 should work identically really.

--
Matt