Date:      Wed, 08 Jul 1998 21:28:13 +0200
From:      Stefan Eggers <seggers@semyam.dinoco.de>
To:        seggers@semyam.dinoco.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
Subject:   Re: Someone working on swapoff?

> > How about /usr/share/doc/papers/newvm.ascii.gz?
>
> The daemon book and newvm are good for 4.4BSD, but FreeBSD uses a
> different system based on the Mach paging internals.  Any papers on
> Mach should suffice.

I looked for technical reports on this matter from CMU but have not
found one dealing with VM, yet.  :-(  But maybe I find something in
the next few weeks.

> Besides that, unless John's written a paper on it and hasn't told us,
> the best I can suggest there is to UTSL.  (I may be able to dig up a

That's exactly the method I am using at present and which I think
isn't that bad.  But a map of the terrain would of course make the
task a little bit easier.  ;-)

I started to read it a bit today and must say it looks pretty under-
standable for such a beast.  I don't expect it to be too hard.  The
hardest part will be to get FreeBSD-current on a 386/33 (the machine
I intend to use for testing) with the least financial effort.  :-)

Stefan.
--
Stefan Eggers                 Lu4 yao2 zhi1 ma3 li4,
Max-Slevogt-Str. 1            ri4 jiu3 jian4 ren2 xin1.