Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2013 19:36:44 +0700
From:      Olivier Nicole <Olivier.Nicole@cs.ait.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Renumber users and groups

Hello,

On my system legacy users come with UID starting from 200 upward, and
all users come with GID lower that 100.

I know it's not a good idea, but consider that some accounts are over 20
years old!

This is not too much a problem with FreeBSD as I can renumber the few
FreeBSD services that have a conflicting ID.

But now I want to share the user directories with Mac (10.6). On Mac,
any id lower than 512 should be reserved for the system.

I tried to renumber the conflicting services on Mac OS, but it messes up
the system.

So I should renumber my users; it's not very difficult to do, but I have
over 1TB of user files for 200 users.

Is there a clever/fast way to do that (other than find -exec chown)?

What pitfall should I avoid?

Best regards,

Olivier