Date:      Fri, 21 May 1999 12:13:54 +1200
From:      Joerg Micheel <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz
Subject:   "Prestoserve" for FreeBSD (NFS server write cache)

Hi there,

I'm planning to run FreeBSD as a lab file server. I'm aware of the
NFS server write delay problem, which slows down writes from the
client. I know about the "insecure option" on the client, which I
dont intend to use.

On Sun Servers you can add a small battery-backed memory to the
system where NFS writes end up in first, before being written to
disk. This looks like an elegant solution at a first glance, however,
the size of memory is fairly limited.

I have been studying FreeBSD sources to find a hint for a similiar
solution, but it doesn't seem to be there. There are no hooks. Does
anyone know of a prestoserve implementation for FreeBSD machines,
as a PCI board, perhaps ?

If not, what solutions do people use to speed up NFS writes ? Do
you guys run your NFS file server in "insecure" mode and have a
UPS for the case of a power failure ? What about system crashes ?

Thanks for enlightening me.

Regards,
	Joerg
--
Joerg B. Micheel			Email: <joerg@cs.waikato.ac.nz>
Waikato Applied Network Dynamics 	Phone: +64 7 8384794