Date:      Fri, 3 Sep 1999 10:26:07 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Matt Behrens <matt@zigg.com>
Cc:        Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, "Art Neilson, KH7PZ" <art@hawaii.rr.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cvsup

On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Matt Behrens wrote:

> On Fri, 3 Sep 1999, Sheldon Hearn wrote:
>
> : You either look at the output of cvsup -L 2 and update the affected bits
> : by hand, or you ``make world'' if you're as lazy as the rest of us.
> : There's no automated mechanism for only building updated bits.
> :
> : Some people may tell you to ``make -DNOCLEAN world''. These people are
> : confused about what NOCLEAN is for and I urge you to find out exactly
> : what the implications are before listening to them.
>
> I have found that
>
> 	make depend && make && make install
>
> will work most of the time.  Any reason why I shouldn't be using
> this...?

	Yes, there are at least two. First, it doesn't give you any
benefit. Second, it will not only fail some of the time, but it will also
result in false positive successes.

Doug
--
"My mama told me, my mama said, 'don't cry.' She said, 'you're too young a man
to have as many women you got.' I looked at my mother dear and didn't even

    - John Belushi as "Joliet" Jake Blues, "I Don't Know"