Date:      Mon, 21 Feb 2005 11:51:04 -0500
From:      "Mikhail T." <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
To:        Felix =?utf-8?q?K=C3=BChling?= <fxkuehl@gmx.de>
Cc:        Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde@aldan.algebra.com>
Subject:   Re: ports/76257: nvidia_driver breaks xorg-clients build

= Unless someone shows me a good way to find out which version is
= available at build time, I'm not going change this in Xorg CVS.

This is the simplest of all for you to do. The glXGetProcAddress
function appears only in the 1.4 version of GLX specifications. The
headers supplied with NVidia's implementation #define GLX_VERSION_1_1,
GLX_VERSION_1_2, and GLX_VERSION_1_3.

Xorg's implementation defines GLX_VERSION_1_4 in addition to those
three.

= For this purpose it uses some implementation-specific functions of
= libGL (it uses glXGetProcAddress to find these functions). Since
= NVidia has its own libGL, xdriinfo can't do anything useful with
= NVidia's libGL. One more reason for me, not to care too much about
= NVidia.

NVidia's seems a perfectly good implementation of GLX-1.3. Your program
currently requires the 1.4 conformance (the only program in Xorg
distribution today). If the 1.4-features are essential to your program,
we have to find a way to disable building it in some cases. If, on
the other hand, your program can be modified to provide the same
functionality with earlier GLX, please, consider doing so. Thanks,

	-mi

P.S. Alexey! nvidia-driver port should install the headers too, in
addition to libraries...