Date:      Mon, 14 May 2001 06:58:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Conrad Sabatier <conrads@home.com>
To:        Jeff Blaufuss <Jeff_Blaufuss@ndsu.nodak.edu>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Audio CD Ripping Problems

On 14-May-2001 Jeff Blaufuss wrote:
> I'm having problems extracting audio cd tracks from my atapi cdrom
> drive.  With both dagrab and cdda2wav the last two seconds of the output
> wav file is garbled.  It sounds like a very short clip was taken from
> near the end of the track and repeated for about two seconds until the
> track ends.
>
> I can play the same track, error free, with xmms.
>
> Could this be a problem with my cdrom drive, or do I have it
> misconfigured? Have I found a bug? Any help with solving this problem
> would be appreciated.
>
> System info: FreeBSD 4.3-STABLE running on a Dell OptiPlex GX300 with a
> Soundblaster 16 PCI and an atapi cdrom drive.  CD ripping programs:
> dagrab and cdda2wav from the ports tree.

Before you start thinking hardware problem or misconfiguration, try cdd.  You
can't build it from the ports collection (marked as BROKEN), but it's available
as a pre-compiled package, in the 3.4-STABLE directory (I think).

I prefer it over any other audio ripper.  Cdd will try very hard to get an
accurate rip, much more so than any other ripper I've tried.  If it does fail,
it's more likely a scratched or dirty CD than anything else.

Good luck.

--
Conrad Sabatier
conrads@home.com