Date:      Sun, 25 Jun 2000 02:08:58 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mark W. Krentel" <krentel@dreamscape.com>
To:        clefevre@citeweb.net
Cc:        freebsd-emulation@freebsd.org, freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: panic running linux binaries from ext2fs

> how is mounted your linux filesystem ?
> is it mounted to /linux or to /compat/linux ?
> if /linux, do you have a symlink like /compat/linux -> /linux ?

I use the linux_base-6.1 port, which installs some 57 Meg on
/compat/linux.  But all that's on /usr, a UFS partition.

My machine dual boots between Linux and Freebsd, so the Linux
partitions are on a different slice.  I mount Linux's / partition on
/mnt, usually read-only to reduce the number of fsck's after each
panic.

  # Device       Mountpoint    FStype   Options      Dump    Pass#
  /dev/da0s1     /mnt          ext2fs   ro,noauto    0       0

> how do you run your linux application ?
> /linux/bin/whatever or /compat/linux/bin/whatever ?

I'm not running the binaries in /compat/linux.  I cd to /mnt/bin
(Linux's /bin) and run ./ls.

> /linux/bin/whatever may failed if not branded to Linux,
> while /compat/linux/bin/whatever should work.
> try "brandelf -t Linux /linux/bin/whatever" before to run /linux/bin/whatever
> and make the symlink /compat/linux to /linux if it doesn't exists.

I haven't branded them because I wasn't sure how Linux would react to
the brand.  Besides, it doesn't seem to have trouble identifying that
they are Linux binaries.  But I'll try the experiment tomorrow and
report if there's any difference.

All good ideas that could cause emulation to fail, but I don't see
where they would cause a panic.

P.S. I know I announced this to both -emulation and -fs, but let's
restrict the follow-ups to one or the other, probably -emulation.

--Mark