Date:      Tue, 21 Sep 1999 15:49:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Mr. K." <bsd@a.servers.aozilla.com>
To:        John Armstrong <siberian@siberian.org>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: hackers?

On Tue, 21 Sep 1999, John Armstrong wrote:

> You really really need to turn off relaying and turn on pop
> authentication ( or use a pop database if your pop users are coming
> from static IP addresses ).

Right now all relaying is shut off.
Is there somewhere that I can get more information on using pop
authentication for relaying?  That would be perfect as myself and the
other users connect from a large number of different locations and dynamic
ip addresses.

> Is your load high? What do you maillogs indicate? Can you trace the
> source of the problem? Are emails bouncing back to your root acct?

I actually didn't get any bounces, as the From: was listed to some other
poor loser.  I did get put on ORBS, but I'm off that now.

> When this happened to me not only did I get nailed with the outgoing
> traffic, I got nailed with tens of thousands of bounces because the
> idiot spammer did not get a current mailing list. On top of that I
> got nailed into the blackhole and my ISP shut me down until I fixed
> it.
>
> its a nightmare. If you need a sendmail.cf file that blocks relaying
> as well as the perl daemon to do pop authentication let me know and I
> will send it offlist.

Nope I think I got it.  Ran it through a few tests, and passed ORBS tests
apparently as I'm still off the list.

Thanks for the info and the help.