Date:      Mon, 21 Jun 1999 12:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pwd_mkdb -p not doing what I expected

Greetings, :)

	I'm on a -current system and for various reasons I want to add
some pseudo-users to /etc/passwd, but not to /etc/master.passwd.
Basically, these are users who have no login, but a process on the box
needs to be able to map usernames on a remote system to uid's. So, my
first choice was simply to add them to /etc/passwd, but that didn't work
because they weren't in the associated db. So, looking at the man page for
pwd_mkdb, the -p option seems to do what I want:

     -p    Create a Version 7 style password file and install it into
           /etc/passwd.

However, when I run 'pwd_mkdb -p filename' it not only recreates the
/etc/passwd file and db, it also rewrites master.passwd and its database.
Fortunately I was adequately prepared for this eventuality, however it's
still not desired behavior.

	If anyone can offer an insight into this, I'd appreciate it. I
haven't dug into the code yet, mainly because it's not the end of the
world doing it like this. If nothing else, adding "in addition to
/etc/master.passwd" to the description above would make it less confusing,
if I am in fact reading the man page incorrectly.

	BTW, if you were going to suggest using NIS for the username
problem don't bother. That option is excluded by managerial fiat. :)

Thanks for any suggetions,

Doug
--
On account of being a democracy and run by the people, we are the only
nation in the world that has to keep a government four years, no matter