Date:      Thu, 13 Aug 1998 16:36:10 +0100
From:      "Alton, Matthew" <Matthew.Alton@anheuser-busch.com>
To:        "'FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG'" <FreeBSD-fs@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   LFS Hacking

What function call is used in the kernel to syncronously write data to a disk?
I mean really actually write it and change the polarity in the little
magnetic domains and everything such that I may assume that the
data is ON THE DISK when the call returns success.

How should I impliment "callback" in the kernel buffer cache flushing
mechanism so that the vm dosn't interfere with my write scheduling?
I need to know how to properly register a filesystem with the kernel
at boot time and how to register vm operations including union-of-set-preserving
NOOPs and how to "intercept" vm-issued fsyncs and whatever else.

A sort of pseudocode stack-trace of the whole shebang from userland
write(2) to data-on-the-disk would be wonderful.

What are we using instead of SYSV FSS-switch?

Once I get all this sorted out, I plan to write up a nice, pretty FS Hacker's
Guide for the Handbook.  Please feel free to carry on at length about any
and all FS implementation particulars.  I will give you credit in the Guide.

Matthew Alton
Computer Services - UNIX Systems Administration
(314)632-6644   matthew.alton@anheuser-busch.com
                alton@plantnet.com