Date:      Mon, 28 Feb 2000 19:54:15 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Cliff Rowley <dozprompt@onsea.com>
To:        Donn Miller <dmmiller@cvzoom.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two queries [ KDE / XFree86 ]

> I've got the same problem also, and can confirm it is a
> -current/XFree86-3.9.18 problem.  (Probabably mainly an XFree86
> problem, I presume.)  Apparently, the XFree86 build process isn't
> perfect either, since certain options in xc/config/cf/host.def can
> cause the "make install" to fail.  One set of options I had in
> host.def caused the make World to finish successfully.  But when I did
> the ensuing "make install", it began compiling the aout shared libs,
> which it didn't do during the make World.  (What the hell?)

Strange, the build process was wonderfully successful for me.  The only
modification I made before the make World/install process was adding:

BuildAoutLibraries

to site.def...  Since posting my last mail, I've also encountered a
similar message, thie time reported by Imlib.  It's not the exact same
message, but it's the same meaning.  They are both having trouble getting
a handle on shared memory (at least, this is my interpretation).  I've got
SYSV* in my kernel, so it's not that...

It would be nice to know if it was a FreeBSD or XFree86 thing, perhaps
someone on the list not using a pre 4.0 XFree86 snapshot could help us out
here?

Of course, it could just be (and most likely is) just being triggered by a
change in FreeBSD 4.0, which the XFree86 code (obviously) hasnt caught up
on yet.

It's not urgent, there are no critical errors produced by this situation,
everything still works just fine.

Keep me posted on anything you encounter...

Cliff Rowley

- while (!asleep) { code(); }