Date:      Mon, 07 Apr 2003 01:46:28 -0400
From:      "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
To:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New build machine

>On Sun, 2003-04-06 at 19:08, Mezz bsdforums.org wrote:
> > >Cisco has generously donated a machine to me to do build tests with
> > >(only they don't really know it).  I'll get things setup this week if I
> > >have time.  I'll create -STABLE and -CURRENT jails.  Anyone interested
> > >in receiving failure logs, let me know what port(s) you're interested
> > >in.
> >
> > I am insteresting for receive the failure logs as what you have and
>mostly
> > relating to Gnome2 stuff. It's just for if I happen can help on
>something
> > that I can solve, before you do. :-)
>
>Well, that's pretty much what this machine will be doing.  I am willing
>to add others' GNOME-related ports, but it isn't a fast machine: PIII
>650 w/ ATA 33 drive and 512 MB of RAM.
>

> > Is there somewhere I can find to read more about tinderbox? Right now,
>all I
> > can find is http://people.freebsd.org/~mike/tinderbox.html .. But, I
>would
> > like to have sort of how-to like handbook? I have a machine that is
>pretty
> > fast and I am planning to switch my desktop machine to server desktop
> > sometime when I get a new case. Current, I don't have case  for it
>(broke by
> > shipped) and it has awful a lot of dust inside and need to avoid cats to
>get
> > in it when I move to the different place.
>
>I'd like to find a good set of howtos and scripts myself.  I'm planning
>on building it from scratch with jail and some Perl scripts.  I know des
>has one for building the src tree.  I may have a look at that.

Cool, if you are creating something by scratch, can you post it somewhere?
:-)

So far what I have found following:

http://members.brabant.chello.nl/~h.lambermont/snippets/tinderbox.txt
(plain/quickly/dirty guide for FreeBSD)
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/tinderbox/

Just show you in case if there's something useful.

> > When, I switch and I am more happy to enable everything on debug mode
> > (include -CURRENT), allow you have a shell account if you like to. It
>won't
> > happen soon, but sometime within lesser than two months.
> >
> > My personal server machine is:
> >
> > MSI K7 Master-S MS6341-030 266 DDR 6341-S
> > AMD AthlonXP 2000+/266 FSB
> > 256MB 32x64 PC2100 DDR RAM (2x = 512mb)
> > 36gigs ST-336706LW, Ultra160 SCSI Wide, 10k rpm (Seagate Cheetah)
> >
> > It was on sale, I bought all them together only for around $750 include
> > Antec workstation case with cheap 8mb video card and free shipment like
> > year ago or so.
>
>Nice.  Your machine will definitely beat mine.

Yup, it is.. My machine usually finish the build of kernel+buildworld (w/out
-j) within less than 35 minutes, while my desktop machine took hours and
hours. :-)

Cheers,
Mezz