Date:      Fri, 28 Jan 2005 16:27:42 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@uni-mainz.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardware testing / burn in software

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

On Fri, Jan 28, 2005 at 03:37:32PM +0100, O. Hartmann wrote:
> Dave Carrera schrieb:
>=20
> >Hi List,
> >
> >Is there any freebsd based p.c hardware / burn in testing software=20
> >available ?
> >
> >I ask as i am building 3 new servers and want to check all parts ie,=20
> >mem, hdd, cpu etc before loading on my freebsd.
> >
> >What would be ideal is a micro kernal on a floppy disk or self booting=
=20
> >cd with the testing software on the disk, i can only hope :-)
> >
> >Any help or advice is appreciated
> >
> >Thank you in advance
> >
> >Dave C
>=20
> For testing and stressing CPU/Cahce/memory interface look at
> /usr/ports/sysutils/cpuburn.
>=20
> For memory testing purposes
> /usr/ports/sysutils/memtest
> and
> /usr/ports/sysuitls/memtest86
> is very useful, I would prefer latter due to an ISO image for autostart.
>=20
> For other purposes and device's testing I do not know any tool (under=20
> UNIX like FreeBSD),
> maybe bonny for harddrives?

For a burn-in test, I something like the following to be efficaceous:

    # cd /usr/src
    # while true ; do make buildworld buildkernel ; done

and leave to compute vigourously overnight.  If that can run
continuously for 12 hours then you can be pretty confident that your
hardware is A-OK.  Plus if the magic smoke has not been emitted after
12 hours or so of that, you can be pretty confident you machine will
stand up to load. Of course, this might not be exactly what the
original poster wants as it does assume you've put at least a minimal
install of FreeBSD on the system, together with all of the kernel and
system sources.

       Cheers,

       Matthew

--=20
Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       8 Dane Court Manor
                                                      School Rd
PGP: http://www.infracaninophile.co.uk/pgpkey         Tilmanstone
Tel: +44 1304 617253                                  Kent, CT14 0JL UK

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO

--2oS5YaxWCcQjTEyO--