Date:      Thu, 27 Dec 2001 15:59:45 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        "Kristian K. Nielsen" <jkkn@jkkn.dk>
Cc:        "Nils Holland" <nils@tisys.org>, =?iso-8859-1?Q?S=F8ren_Schmidt?= <sos@freebsd.dk>, "Matthew Gilbert" <agilbertm@earthlink.net>, <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-drivers

:Hey,
:
:It is great if you are finding a solution for the VIA-chipset.
:Do you have any idea if it is a simular problem that I am experiencing?
:
:I am not enough into chip code to have a clue what exactly the patch
:is doing - but maybe it is just decreasing the load on the kernel/system in
:a
:way that the crashes are avoided tough there is still a bug outthere
:somewhere?!
:
:I do not have a single VIA-chip in my box that I know of - all Intel
:and is running the latest BIOS version avialable for my motherboard
:and still having crashes whenever I put any pressure on the box, like
:compiling/moving large files across filesystems/etc:

    Well, as Soren says, there are lots of things that can result in
    crashes.  In order for us to attempt to diagnose the crashes you are
    having you need to post a backtrace of that core file - usually it
    is a good idea to do it with the kernel.debug binary from the
    kernel build directory rather then the stripped 'kernel' that the
    crash dump saves, but either will work for a start.

    cd /var/crash
    gdb -k kernel.4 vmcore.4
    gdb> back

    If you have the kernel.debug associated with the kernel, usually
    found in the original build directory (i.e. /usr/src/sys/compile
    /JKKN_KRNL/kernel.debug) if you had done a config -g or used the

	makeoptions     DEBUG=-g

    option in the kernel config file, then you can gdb using the
    debug binary and get a much more interesting back trace.

    cd /var/crash
    gdb -k /usr/src/sys/compile/JKKN_KRNL/kernel.debug vmcore.4
    gdb> back

					-Matt

:dumpon: crash dumps to /dev/ad0s1b (116, 131073)
:Checking for core dump:
:savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
:Dec 26 04:11:11 jkkn savecore: reboot after panic: page fault
:savecore: system went down at Wed Dec 26 04:07:57 2001
:savecore: writing core to /var/crash/vmcore.4
:
:.....snip end.....
:
:Regards