Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 20:13:00 +0300
From:      Maxim Sobolev <sobomax@FreeBSD.org>
To:        marcus@FreeBSD.org
Cc:        rgoellner@gmx.de, gnome@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ports/38323: x11-toolkits/gtk12 issue with getresuid

marcus@FreeBSD.org wrote:

> Synopsis: x11-toolkits/gtk12 issue with getresuid
>
> State-Changed-From-To: open->feedback
> State-Changed-By: marcus
> State-Changed-When: Mon May 20 08:37:06 PDT 2002
> State-Changed-Why:
> I am unable to reproduce this on 4.6-RC.  getresuid is a syscall, and should
> exist on your system.  You might want to re-sup your sources, and build
> the OS again.  Please make sure you build libc_r with the OS.

The diagnosis is incorrect. If my memory serves, the problem with
Applixware resulted from the fact that Applix linked some old version
of libc statically into their application, but linked libgtk
dynamically. Since libc linked into the application doesn't contain
getresuid syscall wrapper function, newer version of gtk is unable to
use it, resulting in a crash. I suspect that you should be able to
workaroung the problem by setting LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libc.so
environment variable before starting Applixware (not tested).

It would be nice if you could test this and report whether or not it
works for you.

-Maxim