Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 13:00:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: docs/40423: Keyboard(4)'s definition of parameters to GETFKEY/SETFKEY off by one.

The following reply was made to PR docs/40423; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@freebsd.org>
To: Marco van de Voort <marcov@stack.nl>
Cc: bug-followup@freebsd.org
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:27:47 +0300

 On 2002-07-10 18:26 +0000, Marco van de Voort wrote:
 > The C IOCTL (SET/GETFKEY) interface to set "function keys" requires
 > parameters in the range 0..63 (actually 0..95)
 >
 > Kbdcontrol -f remaps them to 1..64 (1..96)
 >
 > Keyboard(4) which describes (amongst others) the SET/GETFKEY
 > functions specifies the range as 1..64, while not mentioning that
 > kbdcontrol add/subtracts 1 internally when necessary

 I think the intent was to make it easier for users of kbdcontrol(1)
 who will have to use the manpage to find out the proper number to pass
 to the -f option of kbdcontrol.  The kbdcontrol(1) manpage refers to
 atkbd(4) which also uses the 1..64 numbering.  Someone who uses a
 programmatic interface should always use the F(x) interface of
 <sys/kbio.h> and will never get to see the actual raw number of a
 function key listed in the source of a program.

 - Giorgos