Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:43:31 -0500
From:      "Andrew C. Hornback" <achornback@worldnet.att.net>
To:        "FBSD Questions" <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: what does my dmesg say?

	$70 to $100 for a hardware modem?  *wonders if he could sell a lot of those
at that price, seeing how they're going for a LOT cheaper than that*

> I found that to get a internal modem found in FBSD you have to
> change sio0 to be disabled like sio3 and then comment out the
> sio1, sio2, and sio3 in the kernel source and recompile.
> Must leave sio0 in as it is used to spawn the sio1-3
> for your internal modems.
> You also must disable com1 - com4 in the PC's bios.

	Pardon me for saying this, but that sounds QUITE screwed up.

	When I installed an ISA hardware modem in my dial-up router, I didn't have
to change any of the motherboard's BIOS settings, period.  Just install the
card, reboot, have FreeBSD come up, recompile the kernel to support the sio
port that the modem defaulted to, and go.  Nothing as complicated as you're
talking about.

--- Andy