Date:      Wed, 11 Feb 1998 12:00:38 -0800
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        adrian@obiwan.creative.net.au, jlemon@americantv.com, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Hollywood (Re: PATCH.M )

>> >I assume Terry wouldn't be putting forward patches that didn't work. And
>> >hadn't been throughly tested.
>>
>>    In fact, I can't recall a time when it was the case that Terry's patches
>> both compiled cleanly and worked without problems.
>
>You don't remember the 100+ patches in the patchkit?

   Oh, yes, I remember *those*. Case in point. :-)

>When FreeBSD boots, it uses my init_main.c.  SYSINIT was *my* baby,
>as is the kernel process starting code used by updated (now syncd),
>etc..

   Yes, and I recall that SYSINIT was broken and took some frobbing by
Julian to get it to work. I might also mention that some people, myself
included, aren't entirely satisfied with the direction that SYSINIT has
taken us. For one thing, it's made it much more difficult to debug the
system during startup and has made it near impossible to see the pathologic
interaction between various random users of it spread out over dozens of
kernel source files. It reminds me of DEC's 'sysman' utility replacing
the standard system startup script, or the SysV model - you could never
figure out exactly what has happend or predict what will happen.

>You are using my LKM code; if you had problems, it's because you
>waited so long, and then acquired it from NetBSD instead of me.

   Unfortunately, you're right. I'm sure even you will agree that it is
not much more than a proof of concept and falls way short of the needs of
any sort of production LKM system.
   Look, I'm not interested in putting you down in public. This sort of
pissing match benefits neither of us.

>PS: Did someone specifically kill the mailing of my PATCH.C that
>    contained the actual patches?

   No, but I didn't get a copy of it, either.

-DG

David Greenman