Date:      Wed, 21 Aug 2002 10:43:43 +0400 (MSD)
From:      Andrey Alekseyev <uitm@zenon.net>
To:        David Schultz <dschultz@uclink.Berkeley.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: minor annoyances

> What were you expecting this to do?  The && operator conditionally
> executes its right operand depending on the return value of its
> left operand.  But if you run a task in the background, there is
> no immediate return value to speak of.  The '& &&' construct only
> makes sense if you have a shell with magical predictive powers to
> correctly guess a program's return code before it finishes.  While
> ash doesn't have those, I understand that this is one of the many
> new features planned for the next version of bash.

Well, shame on me.  I always thought it works just like (aaa &) && bbb
which has the right effect. So I assume, that was a parsing bug fixed
which previously had been allowing the incorrect notation. Back to fix
my scripts (fortunately I wasn't using that bad syntax much:)

--
Andrey Alekseyev. Zenon N.S.P.