Date:      Sat, 19 Jan 2002 15:55:43 -0500
From:      Jud <jud@operamail.com>
To:        Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1011760229.941611@mired.org>, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: freebsd, openbsd, solaris

1/19/2002 2:06:45 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk>
wrote:

> --- Mike Meyer
><mwm-dated-1011760229.941611@mired.org> wrote: >
>adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> types:
>> > Hello
>> > Can I put freebsd, openbsd, solaris 8.0 in one
>> > harddisk?
>>
>> I don't think so. Last time I checked, OpenBSD used
>> one partition
>> table per disk, not one per slice, and the FreeBSD
>> table will screw it
>> up. However, FreeBSD and Solaris can coexist with no
>> problem.
>>
>> > If yes, what is the install sequence?
>>
>> I'm not sure it matters. Neither understands the
>> others boots, so you
>> need to install a boot manager that can deal with
>> them both. GRUB
>> works.

>Hello Mike
>
>Thank you very much for your help
>
>One more question, how can I get grub and the
>installation documentation for grub?
>
>Thank you

After you have installed FreeBSD, the port "skeleton" will be in
/usr/ports/sysutils/grub.  To build the port, make sure you've got an
Internet connection set up (it can either already be on, or set to -auto so
the connection will start when needed), then as root cd
/usr/ports/sysutils/grub && make install clean.

Once the port is built, you will need to type info grub and read the
documentation thoroughly.  That will tell you how to install GRUB as
your bootloader and configure it to your liking.

Jud